PortaVia allows you to take your favourite mug with you out the door
(bring your own mug)
Our mission is to cut down on the needless consumption of disposable paper and plastic cups. We've designed a product that addresses the problem head on, not by producing more, but by using what we each already have, our mugs from home.
- 50 billion paper cups are thrown into landfills every year in the US 1
- Paper cups are not recyclable because of the polyethylene liner
- Only 1-2% of coffee drinkers bring their own cup to cafes, even with a 10 cent discount incentive.
- Ever disposable coffee cup is responsible for 0.24 lbs of carbon (C02) greenhouse gas emissions
- Virgin SBS paperboard has a significantly greater manufacturing impact than does recycled or unbleached paperboard. 2
"Recombining existing assets forces creativity of a different sort: re-forming what already exists to create new and socially rewarding experiences. This is a lean efficiency that can bring enormous design satisfaction as well as social innovation." -Louise St. Pierre, Current, Emily Carr University
Using glasses in place of disposable PET plastic cups reduced energy use by 98% based on 1 million beverages served in glasses, including environmental impacts of manufacturing, using and washing glasses.
Water Pollution & Usage
Both ceramic and glass reduced water pollution by 99%. Ceramic reusables reduced water usage by 64%.
Ceramic reusables reduced solid waste by 86%, and glass reusables cut solid waste by 88%, by weight. 1